Monday 14 December 2015

Face Chart Practice

A face chart is used all the time in this industry for a few reasons. It is to test or plan out a look before applying it to a model. They are also used to record a look thats been tried on someone to keep continuity. It can be good to keep all face charts to show your work and the products used. Face charts are made with a special kind of paper to allow the artist to create a look on something similar to skin.

After learning about colour theories and seeing how different colours and shades work together, we were asked to create a face chart using any colour theory we wanted. There was a slight technical glitch with our proper face chart pads so we created then on ordinary paper instead. I was a bit nervous about this task as I had never done a face chart before but I decided to throw my ideas onto the paper anyway.

I started off with the eyebrows using an angled brush and a dark brown shadow to sculpt the brows on the face. For the eyes, I started by using a pen to draw a flicked wing. I then used Kryolan bright pallet to fade a blue up the eyelid and also along the bottom lash line. I used the pen again to draw in eyelashes and also coloured the pupils brown for added effect. Next was the lips, where I tried to use a complimentary colour. I used a dark brown to outline the lips and faded it in towards to middle. Finally, I finished off by accentuating the cheekbones, forehead, nose, jaw and chin with a little bronzer.




Overall, I am quite pleased with my facechart although I feel like I need more practice to get my colours and technique right. Considering it was my first one I think I did well. If I was to do it again, I would try different colours using my knowledge of colour theory and maybe try a different way of shading the eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment