Monday 14 December 2015

Elizabethan make up practice

This week we practiced a typical Elizabethan make up. This was a look that was similar to what women in the Elizabethan era would have done. The idea was to give us a few more ideas on how to create a look with the techniques given but not necessarily using them all.

Unfortunately, the look I had created in class originally the pictures didn't save and were lost! But I decided to recreate the exact same look on my own face at home because, why not?!

After a quick cleanse and tone, I applied Illamasqua matte primer. I used to matte to give it a rougher texture to the face as the Elizabethans tended to have a very well powdered face.


The next step was to apply the base, Illamasqua skin base in white. Using my foundation brush, I started from the nose and blended out to the hairline. I decided to try and fade the colour into the hairline rather than leave a harsh facepaint-like line around the forehead. Once this was done, I used a triangle powder puff to press Illamasqua loose white powder onto the face. Use a duo fiber brush to gently sweep away any excess.


The next step was getting a tint on the cheeks. I took my blusher brush and gradually built up colour on the apples of the cheeks with Kryolans blusher pallet in youth red.


On to the interesting part! Bleaching out the eyebrows and eyelashes. Using a disposable spatula, I scraped some Kryolan supracolour in white onto the back of my hand and then rolled a disposable mascara wand into the product. I then worked the wand through the hairs on my eyebrows followed by my eyelashes.


Moving onto the lips, I applied Kryolan LC002 to the full lip and then pursed my lips and dabbed on supracolour 081 and a little bit of gold. Pursing the lips gives a crinkle effect. This was the end result.






I am pleased with the outcome although I noticed a couple of things during the process. When practicing again at home, I noticed the base still looked rough and streaky after I had applied the powder. I realised this was because I had not buffed the base like I had previously done in the studio. I also noticed when I had done this look at home, I think it would be a good idea to dust some loose powder over the white eyelashes and brows again just to set it as I noticed the supracolour transferring to my skin from the hairs.


Other than this, I have really enjoyed this as it is also the first time I have applied product to someone elses eyelashes. Yes, it was absolutely terrifying but I did it and I feel more confident about it now. The techniques have also given me a few ideas that I could possibly change to my final design!


No comments:

Post a Comment